James is Chair of Cushman & Wakefield’s Office Agency & Brokerage Group in Europe, Middle East & Africa. His specialism is in the London market, where his client responsibilities include managing a number of key clients dealing with a cross-section of aspects relating to their London property holdings. He is an expert in both disposal and leasing work for a range of landlord clients and acquisition work for occupiers.
James is a member of C&W’s European Leadership Team.
James has worked at C&W for 28 years, joining the firm in 1990, having gained a BSc (Hons) in Estate Management from Oxford Polytechnic.
He became a Partner in 1997, and an Equity Partner in 2003. He joined C&W’s UK Board in 2006 and the firm’s European Executive Council in 2013. Post-merger with DTZ he has joined the European Leadership Team in 2016.
James also spent 5 years in C&W’s Brussels office, running the Client Solutions (GOS) team. This followed 8 years in the firm’s West End Office Agency team. He has spent the last 15 years in the City of London office, including running the City Office Agency team and the London Group.
Awards & Associations
BA (Hons) Estate Management
British Council for Offices
• James undertook the largest pre-let transaction in East London in 2017, the 240,000 sq ft disposal of 14 Westfield Avenue, Stratford to HMRC on behalf of Westfield.
• James and team dealt with the disposal of Principal Place in the City of London to Amazon in 2015, on behalf of Brookfield Office Properties. CoStar’s City Deal of the Year 2015.
• Acting for Canary Wharf Group he dealt with the disposal of Becket House, Lambeth Palace Road (145,000 sq ft) to Bouygues. CoStar’s Southbank Deal of the Year for 2016.
• James advised EY in the acquisition of their Canary Wharf office at 25 Churchill Place (207,000 sq ft) which included negotiating a take back of 146,000 sq ft of surplus space. This was one of the largest deals of 2014 in London. CoStar’s Docklands Deal of the Year for 2014.
• He is responsible for key client Citi, having dealt with the disposal of approximately c.1,000,000 sq ft of space across 5 buildings in London including surplus accommodation in their Headquarters in Canary Wharf.
• James’s City of London team were appointed by J.P. Morgan to deal with the strategy and disposal of their legacy portfolio of buildings, following J.P. Morgan’s move to Canary Wharf in 2012. This resulted in the disposal of almost 750,000 sq ft of space.
• James’s landlord clients include some of the world’s top investors / developers, including Brookfield, Blackstone, Canary Wharf Group, Westfield, Starwood Capital, Pembroke and Great Portland Estates.
• He is also responsible for key client Sainsbury’s, the major UK retailer. He has dealt with the strategy and negotiations around the right-sizing of their office portfolio across the UK, including their HQ at Holborn.
• James has an impressive track record of dealing with occupier acquisitions, including MSCI, O’Melveny & Myers, DTCC, Westfield, Sainsbury’s, VTB Bank and many others.